Blue Ball, PA


View Larger Map


Blue Ball Hotel, 1910-1920 (1)
The blue ball is right of top floor.

"Blue Ball is a settlement at the junction of the Old Paxtang and Horseshoe roads. It has at present a post-office and a few dwellings. The land on which it is located was part of the large tract taken up by the Weavers. On the 27th of august, 1766, Robert Wallace purchased twelve acres of Jacob Weaver. He soon after established a store and erected a tavern, which was opened at the sign of 'The Blue Ball.' He remained here until November, 1778, when he sold to Peter Grim. His son John entered his father's store, and for many years after was engaged in mercantile and agricultural pursuits, and for thirty-two years a ruling elder in Cedar Grove Presbyterian Church. The tavern stand was noted many years as a noted hostelry on the Old Paxtang road." (2 p820)

Description of Blue Ball and picture provided by Romaine Stauffer.
-- dg 2014 Aug 3

Notes

1. "East Earl, PA," www.whatwasthere.com...76269999998/zoom/12/ (What Was There; accessed 2014 Aug 3). Search for "East Earl, PA, US".

2. "East Earl Township," Ch. LL in History of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, with Biographical Sketches of many of its Pioneers and Prominent Men, by Franklin Ellis & Samuel Evans (Philadelphia: Everts & Peck, 1883), p817-821. Also books.google.com/boo...#v=onepage&q&f=false (Accessed 2014 Aug 3). Load link, then search for page number or phrase.

1   Notes